Pages

Monday, July 23, 2007

Christian Terrorism: A Growing Threat?


reposted from atheistrevolution

One of the reasons I started this blog was that I was concerned that constant media coverage of "militant Islam," "Islamic extremists," and the like, while undeniably important, might obscure a threat much closer to home - Christian extremism. American politics was dominated by a neoconservative cabal, influenced by biblical literalism, Christian premilleniumism, militarism, and imperialism. I soon discovered that these neocons had close ties to the Christian Reconstructionist, Christianist, Nationalist, and Dominionist movements. The more I learned, the more convinced I became that the danger was real. Nevertheless, I was unprepared for the intensity of hatred and intolerance I found as I dug deeper into Christian extremism. Most of all, I was unprepared for Christian terrorism.

Just like we distinguish between Muslim extremists and terrorists on the basis of their behavior (e.g., terrorism involves actual or threatened violence), we can distinguish between Christian extremists and Christian terrorists.

When I think of Christian terrorism, I first think of those who bomb family medical clinics, murder doctors, etc. (e.g., Paul Hill). This seems to be the most common form of terrorism linked to Christians. But there are others with other preferred targets. Some examples include:
Sadly, this list is by no means exhaustive. There are many more incidents which would fit here, as well as other less clear cut examples. Some would consider pastors molesting child congregants to be a form of terrorism, and others would cite the outrageous war on science as a possible contender.

Christian terrorism is a real concern, reminding us that Muslims do not have a premium on religiously-inspired aggression. Opposing Christian extremism remains a worthwhile goal, but one which must not overlook the even more sinister reality of Christian terrorism.

No comments:

Post a Comment